Thursday, February 24, 2011

I've got the bug....

The Skiing Bug!
Views from Whiteface. The picture really doesn't do it justice.
skiing a big mountain!

Natalie and Benjamin before we headed out.

I have been loving getting out and skiing this winter. It has been so great to do an outdoor activity in the winter - rather than spending the ultra long months of winter indoors. It has become a reason to be excited about snow and cold weather. I have discovered a blessing in the mountains that we live in and for the first time in a long time, I have felt like the Adirondack North Country is the best place ever to live. Not only do we have great summers, but the winter wonderland holds a new beauty when I know that I can get out and enjoy it. All the mountains and snowtop peaks are sooooo coool. It's been so fun to see Natalie's confidence level increase while learning and practicing this sport. I have really enjoyed doing an activity with her that we both like (can't say that we both enjoy playing Candyland - if you know what I mean!)
Yesterday, we got to ski at a BIG moutain and joined friends at Whiteface Mountain in Lake Placid. This mountain is HUGE in comparison to skiing at West and Natalie handled it like a natural. She was awesome and had the perfect balance between wanting to explore new things, yet cautious and safe in her skiing. The views were amazing and we were so lucky to ski in bright sunshine and relative warmth! Thanks to the Kniskerns for opening thier ski home to us for the day!
I may have to seek help for this "bug" that I have caught as I have been dreaming and planning many more ski adventures for this winter (and it is already almost March!). Sadly, this sport isn't cheap and I may be planning beyond not only my fiancial means, but also might be forgetting that I work full time, have 3 kids and a family on top of it. So, I may have to start self-talking to myself to remind me that I don't have to do it all this winter. Hopefully, there will be many winters in the years to come that we can get out and ski. Even bigger hopes - are that in the future, I will be doing it with not only Natalie, but with my entire family!


No comments: