Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Boilermaker 2009

This was the year that I did the Boilermaker!
The Boilermaker (located in Utica, NY) is one of the largest races in the country and is very well known for fun and festivities that are part of this run. I have been wanting to do this run for years and have been trying to make it a goal for myself. It seemed year after year something came up so that I couldn't do it... new baby, pregnant, nursing, or something of the sort. This year with nothing holding me back, except my nerves of being part of such a crowded race, July 12, 2009 was the day!

It was such an awesome experience.!! With upwards of 15,000 runners and all the spectators, never in my memory, do I remember being in one place that had so many people. At the end of the race, standing in the midst of the crowd was like a sea of people. Every way you looked, you could see nothing but people and more people. Along the course there were endless bands, dancers, supporters, and groups of people cheering everyone on. There was not any part of the 15K course without spectators. The fun of the crowd really brought the energy of the race up.

Then there were the wheelchair "runners." The wheelchair part of the race started before the running part, but at some point, the runners caught up to some of the wheelchair participants. This was a pretty hilly course and as I was feeling out of breath or had tired legs, passing a person in a wheelchair who was going strong TOTALLY encouraged me. Being able to do this course with just their arms is truly incredible!

One of big attractions for this race is that Saranac Beer is the largest sponsor of this race and the race ends at their brewery. Endless free beer is given out to all the runners at the end of the race. I am not a big beer drinker, but it certainly added to the fun. Nick, my supporter, was able to tip back a few in honor of the event!

Sadly, in the midst of the chaos, the camera was left in the car. I have no pictures to post or share, but I got this link to pictures from the Utica paper... they have some really great shots and show how HUGE an event this was.

http://uticadailynewsphotos.com/galleries/090712_boilermaker/

Going into this race, I thought that I would do it once and be able to say, "Yeah, I've run the boilermaker," and feel good about that... but I might be newly addicted to this race. I am already looking forward to Boilermaker 2010 and hope to have more friends part of the next one!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Congrats Kerry! Did you know Julianne ran it too? You guys should get together for next year. I'm proud of you. I don't run. I should, but I don't!