Monday, April 6, 2009

Worst Mom Ever... at least I am not alone!

Today was just one of those days when I felt like the "Worst Mom Ever!" Even though I was at work and didn't get home till close to 4 (so I was only with my kids for 3 hours), it seemed like every thing they did it just drived me crazy. I found myself snapping at them for every little thing they did. Particularly Natalie... for some reason, she just was under my skin! I was feeling so frustrated at her and what seemed like her complete inability to play and her constant need to be one of my appendage. On top of her driving me crazy, in the midst of only hours... Sadie got clay stuck in our carpet, Nick was sick and escaped to the quite of our bedroom and Colin had horrible diarreah muliple times ... the kind that required me to bath him and change his clothes.

Tonight, I was just mean. Because Natalie was driving me crazy, I found myself just being mean back to her. Oh me, oh my... I am just horrible!! I even remember thinking to myself throughout the evening about how I am being the worst mom EVER and that Stay-at-home Mom's of the world deserve an incredible award for doing this all day long. So after I forced them into bed (and I didn't have patienece for Natalie wanting to read the book by herself ... yet another reason I deserve the worst mom ever award!)... I got a BIG bowl of ice cream and turned on my recorded Oprah from this afternooon.

Guess what... the eposide was about the unrealistic expecations of motherhood! Here are some quotes that really hit home to me:
  • "Motherhood is the toughest job int he world, if you are doing it right." Does that mean I am doing it right?!!

  • "Motherhood today has overblown expectations."

  • "Mom's today really need a wife." I sure do...

  • "Woman in today's society have been taught that that they should and could do it all." The only moments of sanity that I have are when I remind myself that I can't, won't and don't need to do it all.
  • "A Good Marriage is the backbone of a healthy family." Thank goodness, we have something going right!

Thank God for Oprah!! At least I can go to bed tonight, knowing that I am truly NOT alone in this and these feelings are normal to some extent. I am probably not the worst mom ever, but I owe Natalie an apology... and she'll get one. But tomorrow is another day...

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I think you are one of the best moms out there!