Monday, July 4, 2011

S-U-M-M-E-R V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N!

Summer vacation is here and we are in full swing! It is a highly anticipated time of the year and we are blessed enough to be able to enjoy it as a family for the full 2 months! Although, there are many times when I think the word "blessed" is a stretch when all 3 of my kids are driving me crazy and I haven't been alone for more than 10 seconds at a time, but really - how amazing is it that we are fortunate enough to have jobs that allow us the opportunity to take a true break from the routine of live and re-charge for another year. This is our 9th summer vacation as a family and although it might be the busiest, it seems to be getter better and better.

Each summer, Nick and I have a "transition" period where we are figuring out how to be together every day, all day... How many couples (and parents) do you know that are home together every day for over 2 months? It sounds great (and is) but it takes some figuring out and sorting through. Particularly, because few dads are home with their kids and I have lots of friends that are home with their kids over the summer - that I end up being with the kids a lot! Some summers Nick has had projects going on that have become his "work," but this summer there seems to be lots of projects in the works - but nothing going on right now. During this transition period, I get bitter because I feel like I never get anytime to myself, yet I almost bring it upon myself as I like to go, go, go and enjoy every moment of summer vacation. Usually, by a week or two into the vacation, I have learned that I need to slow down a bit and Nick has learned that he needs to give me a little alone time every once in a while.

However, I haven't slowed down yet... Weather has been great and I want to take advantage of every moment of summer with my kids. Here is a taste of what we have done since the official beginning of summer vacation just over a week ago...
Monday - 6 kids up to Nannie's lake for a playdate
Tuesday - overnight at Nannie's and fun with her
Wednesday - swim lessons and neighborhood playdates
Thursday - daytrip to Galway lake
Friday - swim lessons, swim at friend's pool and BBQ with Uncle Chris and Amanda
Saturday - hike up Buck Mtn, pool party and dinner at Nannie's
Sunday - boat ride and swim at Lake Vanare, walk in the pouring rain and an afternoon of naps!
Monday - today... the 4th of July... who knows... maybe shelving Rock? Maybe fireworks?

I already fear that the summer is going to go by in a flash and that before we even realize it, September will be here and routines will be back, craziness of a different variety will be among us and we will be in countdown till the next summer vacation - until then, I promise to enjoy what everyday brings me and to love the days of nothing-ness just as much as the days full of everything!


Happy Summer Vacation!

1 comment:

MAM said...

Recommendable post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. Helpful stimulating to see content from other writers and study a little something there. Let me apply certain of your content on my blog on hand mind. Natually Ill give you a link time for your web page. Appreciate your sharing.
Wow, this was very fun to read. Have you ever considered submitting articles to magazines?
Hi there, I found your blog via Google and your post looks terribly attention-grabbing for me.
OLANSI FACTORY