Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Born to Run

My cousin, and fellow runner, told me about this book called "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. She encouraged me to read it... said it gave you a new perspective on running and especially on the idea of barefoot running and the commericalization of running shoes. I was intrigued enough by the idea to request the book from the library and wait the many weeks that it took to make it's way to my local library for pick up.

I can't say that it was a quick read and I still can't decide if I even liked it, but I am glad that I read it. It was the story of reporter for an exercise magazine that wanted to learn how the true UltraRunners can do what they do... run 50-100 miles on a regular basis. He researched a tribe in Mexico that does that much running on almost a daily basis and yet, suffers very little injury. He explored the idea that sneakers, particularly expensive sneakers are made to hurt us and thus make us think we need even better sneakers or that we need to replace them more often. He talked to ultrarunners who believe that through evolution, the human body is truly designed to run and that our own feet are only what we need to do that.

Can't say that I believe truly either high priced sneakers or the idea of barefoot running... but it makes me question the $120 asics that I was recently "fitted" for at the elite running store. They had some great quote in the book that I don't want to forget, so no better way to leave those with me... than to blog about them.


"If it feels like work, you're working too hard."
"Hills are like speedwork in disguise."
"Think Easy, Light, Smooth, and Fast...."
"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may found amounts of ease and power that we never dreamed of ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."
"Don't fight the trail. Take what it gives you."



No comments: