Saturday, August 29, 2009

Our mini vacation to Vactionland

We are not much of a road trip family, but we loaded our kids into the car (drugged Sadie to prevent car sickness) and headed to Maine to visit my cousin, Jen, and her family! Although Jen was an older cousin when I was a kid and we didn't hang out much, as adults we have much in common and it has been so great sharing mom moments with her and getting to know one another better.
The trip was a success and I think we did a good job of squeezing as much MAINE into one weekend. Saturday we went to a small, but beautiful, beach on the ocean and Natalie tried out swimming in the ocean. It was kind of in a cove, so there was not much of an undertow or waves to navigate through. Sadie was not so sure about the ocean and I don't think she even got her toes wet... but she did a great job of collecting as much sand as possible on her body! Colin, was very overtired and was either cranky or sleeping!





Saturday afternoon we went to my Aunt's house that is in a cove of an ocean. The ocean was at high tide so we were able to swim right off her land. It was wild... in that it looked just like an Adirondack lake - peaceful and clear, surrounded by evergreens, but yet it was salty water!
That night, the kids went and picked up live lobsters for dinner! Liam and Natalie each held a lobster before it became our dinner (that doesn't sound good, huh!). Sadie was not so sure what to think of it and when we sat down to dinner, she told us she wasn't hungry and didn't eat a thing!! That night, while she was in the tub, she told me... "Mom, I was sad for that crab. I didn't want to eat it!" I might think we have a vegetarian on our hands, but after she got out of the tub, she ate leftover ham!
I thought the lobster was absolutely YUMMY!
Jen and my kids are all about the same age. Liam and Natalie are both 7. Aela is 5 and Sadie is 4, and then Shae is 2 and Colin is 1. Aela and Sadie had a wonderful time together and during the weekend told me many times that they were best friends. Here they are in the tub, pretending to be twins!
What a great trip.
Thanks to Jen and family for hosting us and sharing your weekend!






No comments: