Thursday, August 6, 2009

O'Brien Family Reunion

5 Siblings
9 Cousins
10 significant others
7 (almost 8) Grandchildren
5 dogs
LOTS and LOTS of fun.
Since I was 5 years old and living in Maryland, we have spent our summer vacations in the Adirondacks with my mom's brothers and sister and families. There are many, many fond memories of those weeks together.
Seeing how crazy our own life is now, I am in awe that my parents and aunts and uncles were able to commit to that annual vacation week for so many years. Truly what a gift that they gave all of us with that special bond and relationship with our cousins and family. I fondly remember pontoon boat trips, the island, late nights at at the Lake George arcade, babysitting the younger cousins, the rope swing, the path between Jessie's home and Erin and Katy's place, the many thunderstorms and so many more...
Since our families have grown and expanded in so many ways over the past 10 years or so... the annual vacation week has held strong in a Family Reunion Weekend. It is so special that we all make it a point to be together. I bet my grandma is smiling :).
This weekend was full of fun and visiting.
Saturday morning my cousin Jen and I ran the Race the Train run up in North Creek and the kids (all 6 of them) got to ride the train and be our cheerleaders! Jen almost beat the train!! Nice job. Saturday afternoon was spent swimming and swimming at Lake Vanare. Lots of yummy food and great company.
I KNOW that my children look forward to and love this weekend just like I always have.

No comments: