Sunday, June 21, 2009

1st Grade Picnic

It is time for all of the end of the Year celebrations.
1st grade ended their year with a fun family picnic. In the midst of 3 days of straight rain, the skys seemed to clear for a couple of hours just in time for this picnic. Natalie has had a GREAT year in 1st grade. She has made some great friends and her academics have really exploded! Just the other night, I went into her room and she was looking at a book. It wasn't an easy reader either... she told me she was "reading" it, so I asked her to read some of it to me. I was totally surprised when she started to fluently read every word of it to me! Then she say... "When I don't know a word, I just try and sound it out. If that doesn't work, I just keep reading and try to figure it out as I go!" Holy smokes!! I guess that's what happens...
We are so very proud of Natalie. We know that she takes great pride in her school work and in her efforts to be an overall nice kid.
Natalie and some of her classmates and friends!
Natalie and the Principal, Mr. Pomerville.

Natalie and her very favorite teacher, Mrs. Morris!
Mrs. Morris has been the perfect teacher match for Natalie... and a good match for us too! Mrs. Morris obviously really enjoys what she does and that makes such a difference in her teaching. Natalie just loves how Mrs. Morris jokes with her and appears to have a natural way to connect with these kids. As a parent, it is super hard to let your kid "go" for 6 hours of every day. I feel like Mrs. Morris has done a great job making me and Nick feel connected to Natalie's schoolwork and her day. We so appreciate what she has done with Natalie and we will miss her.
(Mr. Morris teaches 2nd grade... we are keeping our fingers crossed!)
Natalie and Amanda.
Amanda is a friend that we started hearing about on the very first day of school and have continued to hear about every single day of school! Natalie just loves this little girl. Amanda is a super sweet and they have such a great time being classmates and friends. In a district as big as ours, there is a very little chance that the same kids will be in the same class year after year... thus true friendships have to work to stay together. We hope that these girls hold onto the sweet friendship they have developed.
Here's to 2nd grade!




No comments: