Thursday, April 14, 2011

WRT

Western Reserve Trail, or more commonly known around our neighborhood, WRT - is the name of the street that we live on. The WRT is a small street with only 12 houses and like most neighborhoods, there are some cranky folk and we can't be friends with everyone... but for the most part and for most of the time, I feel incredibly fortunate to live on the WRT. A sweet and special friendship among the WRT kids has formed over the past several years that we have all been here. Because the street is so small and dead ends, there is little traffic on the street and seldom is a car here that isn't one of us... so the kids have been able to overtake the street as their own. Chalk usually starts at our driveway and goes out into the road, paths are made between the houses and the kids seem to have a 6th sense for when the other kids are outside playing. We have been truly fortunate that the neighborhood kids all seem to be about the ages of our kids and thankfully, most of us grown ups seem to enjoy each other's company as well. Spring and Summer days are spent with the kids playing in the yards, biking on the street, swinging in the many swing sets and the grownups all circled around each other in one of the driveways enjoying it all.... We, WRT residents, have a special bond. I think it comes from that the WRT is a new construction neighborhood and outside of the most recent arrivals, we were all here from the "beginning." We have felt and endured the growing pains that came with being amongst construction for too long and all have a common enemy - the builder!! I remember growing up in our Maryland neighborhood were my brother and I would walk around the block to friends house and friends would end up in our yard and together we would find adventures and fun. I am thrilled that my kids have found that here in our neighborhood. Sure... it's not perfect (although I would have to say that my house is perfect - thanks to my ever-so-talented husband) but I feel very blessed to be able to have friendships at our doorstep.
Some of the WRT kids on one of the 1st "spring" days.

No comments: