Monday, March 14, 2011

Sadie's time to shine!

Well after Sadie's last adventure on the ski hill, I wasn't sure that this would be her year for skiing. She lacked the focus needed to figure out how to safely get down even just the bunny hill. Although she didn't have the focus, she did have the fun! She enjoyed her 1st lesson very much and had been talking constantly about getting back to West. This past Sunday, we had the opportunity to go back to the mountain and she had another lesson. In a group of 2 kids, Sadie got it!! She figured out how to keep herself up, understood the need to make turns and to stay in control. After the hour on the bunny hill, her instructor told me she was ready for the face of the mountain!
So... back we went the next day with my skis in tow and did the bunny hill a couple more times to be sure that she knew to stay in control, stay slow and make lots of turns. Sadie did this best if she followed me and I went down the hill keeping my skis in "pizza wedge." (It is almost harder to ski in the wedge than parallel ski like I do....) Sadie had made such huge progress! Off we went to the ski lift and to try the face. I think I was more nervous than her... although I did hear her say from the ski lift, "Boy we are high up here!"
She did great! Nice and slow (I think the slushy spring snow helped her keep her pace) and down she went! I was so proud of her. The best was that before I could even tell her that, she turns to me and said, "I am so proud of myself!" Nice work Sadie and I am looking forward to skiing with you next winter!
On the ski lift
(on a side note... she lost the other top tooth later this night and now has the classic toothless grin!)

About 1/2 way down the face. Feeling confident and in control!


No comments: