Sunday, February 28, 2010

An Easy $10

The typical bedtime routine at the Giumarra house usually starts just before 7 when Colin goes off to bed, shortly after that Sadie usually goes to bed. Since Natalie has been 7 years old, she has been able to stay up till 7:30. She loves the fact that she is allowed to stay up the latest and will make a big deal about it to Sadie. On the weekends, we tend to be more relaxed and Sadie and Natalie often go to bed around the same time.

Well last night, I told the girls it was time to go to bed and Natalie was all bummed out that she and Sadie were off to bed at the same time. Natalie asked if she could pay me $10 to stay up late. I figured that could be a quick $10 for me or a good lesson to her about the value of a dollar... so I think she was surprised when I said, "Sure!" I told her that it would cost $10 to stay up till 9pm. She quickly got excited, but then had to really think if she wanted to spend her money on that. She tried to negotiate... "How much would it cost to stay up till 8:15?" I told her $5. Now, Natalie does not have lots of money laying around... we haven't figured out how to work in allowances yet, nor do we just give her cash for any reason.... so $10 is BIG money for her.

After some hemming and hawing, Natalie decided she would give me $10! I couldn't believe it!! I am a little nervous about her spending!! We didn't even have anything exciting going on... no real reason to stay up!! But, Natalie went and got me two 5 dollar bills and proudly handed them over and watched Sadie head off to bed!

Natalie then quickly started making plans on how she could earn back her money. She made grand plans about doing all sorts of chores and hoping for $ for a good report card in June! She ended the night by giving me a back massage and foot massage for $1! Not a bad night for me!!

No comments: